Do you use an easel?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I'm curious. You can choose more than one choice but if one is clearly dominant for you, please just choose that one.
Well I’ve just muddled that up .
I am a shambles, on my lap, on the ground, in the air, on a table...all sorts... the work is upside down, sideways yet somehow I haven't covered or myself or anything else in paint.
I have two easels, one a stand-up job, the other a desk-top for close work (or if my back's gone!). But the stand-up one predominates, and has served me well for some 50 years.
And I've just realized this is the watercolour thread, and I don't use the easel for watercolours, just a stout board propped up at an angle. Well, it's early morning for me .... takes a while for the brain to get into gear.
I use a small piece of wood which just lifts my board a little and I find that fine.
I have an desk-top easel which, I think, was bought at a Patchings event some years ago. It is quite good although the angle of work is rather steep for watercolour. However I "found" a standard easel "under a bed" recently, made of hardwood and obviously unused, in pristine condition. Where and when I got this one I don't know but am keen to try it out. Up till now when working outdoors I have been happy to work sat down somewhere with work on my knees. Sketcher
I use a large square of wood about 3cm thick and lift it slightly when require with a smaller oblong bit of wood, works well for watercolour painting.
Love the planes, Syd a great hobby. Here is a bit of my work place and stuff -
Wow Syd, great planes. You're obviously multi-talented.
Wow Syd, all those planes! You are a man of many talents!
Mr Magoo! That made me smile, Syd, My younger brothers spent their pocket money on Airfix model plane kits, their bedroom ceiling was alive with the things. A marvellous hobby, seeing them brought back some lovely memories I have a white tucked in the corner, Syd, 24 pans, yes I use white, it makes a lovely winter grey when mixed with Paynes Grey. I will use all the colour range, in various mixes, love to potter about with colours. I like my area to be tidy, I do have a modest studio upstairs, but the kitchen table is my favourite place to paint, radio play in the background, nice fire, and a cuppa, heaven.
Showing page 1 of 2