Right to the edge?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, newbie here and perhaps an obvious question but I will ask anyway. I was always in the habit of using masking tape around the edge of paper so my paintings stopped 1cm before the edge and were kind of framed in white. Now I am working on canvass should I avoid this habit and go right to the edge? If god forbid I ever get one framed would the frame over hang and obscure the edge?
Hi and welcome Daveyboyz. If, when , you have a canvas framed the frame itself has quite a deep rebate to accommodate a stretched canvas . Also as it is very minimal you should not have a problem .
Hi Daveyboyz and welcome to POL :) Sylvia has already answered your question, but if you particularly wanted to show your work with a mount you could consider canvas-textured board. I alternate between this and stretched canvas depending on my mood, and one of the advantages is being able to use off-the-shelf frames with the board. Anth.
In short - I agree with Sylvia and Anth - look at a frame, and you'll see the amount of canvas or board covered by the rebate is slight, and you might as well work right up to the edge. There's not much point in saving a white or unpainted area because we're only talking fractions of an inch or centimetre: the snag would arise if you had misjudged it even slightly that you'd have a clear band on unpainted canvas peeking out from beneath the frame. Just avoid things like putting your signature right up to the very edge, where it might get hidden, but there's nothing to gain by leaving any unpainted areas.
Thanks all :)