3 mediums I'm exploring

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all I've recently dusted of my art box and I'm having a go at all sorts. Critique welcome. Acrylic I love rustic majestic buildings. Oil pastel and a touch of acrylic (water sprinkles and detail on lighthouse) got very wet this day. Photographed first. Starting out soft pastel... lots to learn here. Thank you Alicia
I like the pastel snowscape best.

Edited
by alang23

Hello Alicia, and welcome. Have you posted in the gallery...or perhaps I've just missed you over the Christmas shindigs? A fine set of paintings...I prefer the acrylic with it's limited palette, you've caught the sense of decay very well...and it has a faint sense of the surreal (just my opinion) which I like. There's somebody, or something, in that booth (I can't quite make it out), that adds to the image.
Hello As you can see with the other paintings I like an overdose of detail, so this pastel is quite different for me. I struggle with skies in all my paintings and was playing with the pastel (a newish medium for me) to see if it was any easier. I'm glad you like it.
I struggle with pastel - and have more or less given up on it, although I suspect I'll return: truth is, I have the wrong paper and need to dip my fingers into the wallet to get something better. All of your pictures work well - I too like the acrylic at the top; the oil pastel - a very difficult medium, especially if you're fond of detail - has intensity of colour and impact; the pastel is particularly nice (sorry that's a rather weak word, and the painting isn't weak, but these Christmas celebrations take it out of you and have depleted my normally excessively full vocabulary). Hope you'll find the Gallery and get posting there soon. You can of course show work in progress, and work for critique, here: bearing in mind only that if you do the latter - critiques will indeed follow! But you needn't worry about that, on the strength of these.
Hello and welcome, Alicia. I like the image of the pier, which appears to have seen better days, you have given it a life of it's own. And the simplicity of the snow scene with the birds, I'm assuming they are crows, an absolute delight :)
I think you made good on all three, each seems to have something to offer. I have a photo somewhere I took of the pier with birds or bats or something coming out of it, anyway I thought it might be Brighton and reading on that was indeed the case. I liked the lighthouse one best, the movement of the water and the style of the sky works in my opinion. The last is appealing too, simple but effective.and I'd say you have the knack with a pastel sky. I wish I could say something more constructive but a) I am no expert and b) I can't see any obvious faults.