16 AAB HTF

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
In between the 100 I will be more pieces like the below. Not everybody's cuppa I feel, yet work like this I feel is quite a challenge. Dust clouds... Landscape.... Figures....
Looking forward to seeing this when completed - it looks good already.
This is looking good Ant, I look forward to seeing the finished result next year!
The most interesting part of the forum for me is 'work in progress'. I spend a fair amount of time on the internet looking at those artists who are prepared to share this progress. It's interesting how methods vary. I suppose the most frequently used method is to bring the whole picture along at the same time...i.e, block all the colours in to start with. I don't have much success with that, I appear to paint in similar vein to you, working up bits almost to a finish before starting other parts of the painting. I've found that a lot of painters do the same. This is looking excellent so far...I shall watch with interest. Lew.
This is fascinating, your work on the foreground figure is superb. It's interesting to see how others work. With the foreground figures I would have started with those furthest away, but I'm guessing you're establishing the darkest tones by painting the nearest figure. Stunning work, AG.
Yes, Marjorie, I suppose that is a sensible way to approach a painting. I love finding how artists work, and an astonishing number don't use that method. One artist I admire said he paints the most important feature almost to a finish, before he tackles anything else. I can't paint the work over all areas way...well, I can...but don't. The majority of my abandoned paintings have been those where I DID work over all areas. It's been said many times that there's no 'right' way. I'm writing this while I'm waiting for some watercolour to dry...I'm painting a face, as that's the most important bit in this picture, I'll get that almost to a finish before I paint the rest. I guess we use whatever method works for us.
As you so rightly say, Lew, we all have our own methods - mine, in acrylic and oil, is to work up from sketchy details, refining as I go: I'm used to this approach, and usually it works for me. Watercolour, though - that's very different! I've seen so many ways to start a watercolour: with preliminary drawing; without any drawing at all; going straight in with the brush; outlining the major features with watercolour pencil - I've even begun a watercolour with a charcoal drawing and painted into it: guaranteed mud and murk, of course, but at the same time there's a certain character to it: it's just that you wouldn't approach every w/colour like that; or I certainly wouldn't. I know many instructors start with the assumption that their way is the way to go but I don't think it really makes any difference at all - we can all suggest what works for us, but it's up to the individual, ultimately. Get a grip on the principles, then suit yourself.
Looking so good, AG. A pleasure to watch your progress.