Paintings with 3d effects.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm always fascinated by paintings that appear to have 3d effects. Rather than me trying to explain, in might be better to 'see' what I mean by looking at one of my favourite artists, Vijendar Sharma, in the link below. I've seen a video of him at work, and he starts painting on a canvas that's already framed... because his painting spills over onto the frame. Anyway, have a look, it's just magical. Has anyone ever attempted this kind of work? http://www.tuttartpitturasculturapoesiamusica.com/2011/08/vijender-sharma-delhi-india.html
Its a fairly well known form and technique of painting .It has a name Trompe L oeil , french for "trick of the eye". There was a big shop, in my town which had an entire wall painted by abbrilliant artist which showed a Roman lady stting on a marble bench and the bench seemed so real you had to,touch it before you tried sitting on it and i am not kidding you. The rest of the picture was in similar style and more people visited the shop to have their eyes tricked than to purchase anything. I have over the years seen lots of this type of picture some with the painting flowing over the frame.I will guess that nobody here has ever contemplated this very difficult form of painting as it usually requires super realism and detail , but again I may be wrong......Syd
I don't think you are wrong, Syd. Hyper-realism is called for. I've seen some trompe L oeil, some of it very old, I guess there's nothing new in art. I'd like to see this chaps paintings in the flesh as it were, in some pictures he has hands and ropes apparently extending over the frame. The frames are molded, just painting the hands on the surface of the frame would surely still show the lines of the molding. I can't see any. Perhaps he applies some kind of 'filler'. I just find these kind of pictures fascinating.
There was a feature of, tromp l'oeil, effect in the August Leisure Painter, it was a painting of pansies painted on squares of paper pined to a board, an impressive display. I tried it, I think I had a modicum of success.