Watersoluble Pencils

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
In the December issue of Leisure Painter, I saw an article by David Bellamy about using watersoluble pencils. I decided to give it a try and this is the result: the little village nearby that I did draw in black and white watersoluble ink a few weeks ago: I used Inktense pencils and when finished, I gave it a wash with clear water. Do you use those pencils and are you pleased with the result? I am rather pleased with it and I like to "draw/paint" with those pencils very much. http://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_206883.htm http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/MiaKetels
Your painting is really lovely Mia, I have commented in the gallery. I have both watercolour and inktense pencils but so far haven't had much luck with them, I find I'm enjoying using coloured pencils at the moment.
A lovely tranquil scene, Mia, and portrayed with a gentle touch.
Thank you very much Margaret and Carol. I really do appreciate your comments.
A gem of a picture, Mia. I've tried Derwent and Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils. Not much between them, the Faber-Castell maybe has a tad richer colours. I use them a lot in sketchbooks, always adding the water for the watercolour effect. I don't like them to cover large areas...I use ordinary watercolour for that, but sometimes use these pencil to colour faces and smaller details. I haven't tried inktense, maybe I should, I like bright colours.
This all very interesting for me. I like drawing best, my 'paintings' are more like drawing with colours if you get my drift. So water-soluble pencils should hit the spot for me. As I said, I've already got two brands, and the post about the museum pencils looks like I may well end up with a third brand. I recently made a sketch for a 'painting' with derwent pencils, I liked them but found the colours a bit muted for me. I like bright vivid colours - nobody's perfect. When I began the painting for real, I used faber-castell for some of the faces in the picture...they were better....but. As it was a largish picture for me, I painted the background and larger parts of the figures with watercolour paint...this immediately showed the water-pencil faces at a disadvantage. I had to strengthen them with ordinary watercolour. So are these museum pencils likely to be useful for my way of 'painting'? As with Mia, I would only use them for smaller parts of the picture...faces and details etc.
Thanks for that, Keora.