Perhaps it's time for some new oil painting brushes - and paints

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
If you've been painting for many years, you will almost certainly have a collection of quite elderly paint-tubes, and brushes. Two little accidents over the last week have suggested to me that maybe it's time I blew the moths from my wallet and did a bit of investment.... Number one was the ancient tube of Mars Orange - I knew the cap end was partly plugged by old dried paint, but thought I could squeeze some out if I pushed a match-stick through it and cleared a passage. And indeed, I did squeeze some out - snag is, it came from the wrong end of the tube, all over my hand - the tube is so old the metal has begun to disintegrate. Time for a dignified retirement, I think. Number two was a filbert brush which had been owned by another artist before I inherited it around 45 years ago - one of Winsor and Newton's finest in its day, and still useful now - but when I stood back and withdrew the brush, the handle came back with me: the ferrule and bristles stayed stuck to the paint on the board; solved with a bit of wood glue and a pair of pliers, but my message is a) we all have to spend some money on tools at some point, b) how am I expecting companies to thrive if I keep using products made by the grandfathers of their present employees? And this leads one to look at one's other equipment: the mahl stick that's a bit of garden cane with cotton wool wrapped in a fragment of old pyjama stuck on top, the cane held together with sellotape and hope; the painting knives which were once flat and are now warped; the tubes of paint on which the labels have long since departed, leaving me with all the excitement of the lucky dip, because I have no idea what's in them; the ancient bottle of Copal oil medium, which I don't think you can get now (and probably just as well). Once Spring dawns, a thorough clean-out and replacement programme is called for; wonder what's the oldest and possibly most useless relic in your painting kit collection..........?
I'm afraid that in an art materials supply shop I'm a bit like a kid in a candy store! And as you say, we certainly want these companies, and our excellent local art stores if we are lucky enough to have them, to thrive. However I have had some similar mishaps with paint tubes that you've had Robert, with the tube splitting (usually around the top) and the paint going everywhere - and acrylic paint isn't that easy to clean up! I've had the odd brush part company with the handle but I think that was due to incorrect cleaning earlier in its life. I haven't been painting long enough though to have some really old relics.
They were rather swish pyjams in their day - a woven stripe, no less: not looking quite so swish now, though. There's a picture of it in my e-book (an absolute SNIP on the Amazon Kindle Store - amaze your friends..).
And I always thought Robert had silk pyjamas!
Actually, Peter, I tend to sleep au naturel: I keep quiet about it because I don't want to cause hysterical excitement.
We're made of hardy stuff down here, Carol. And anyway, I think it's getting warmer (which probably means rain).
Hardy, indeed, Robert. It feels a little milder today, thank goodness, but I hope it doesn't rain, have had enough of that.