Acrylic Gouache?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, I was on the Jackson's site the other day and they're selling acrylic gouache. I'm intrigued - I read some of the info and it appears that this medium could work well for me. I've tried acrylic but I struggle with its transparency, and this stuff is opaque which would be great. Anyone used these? Pros/Cons? Cheers, Anth
Not seen this product but am intrigued about your comment re acrylic paint transparency. I find quite the opposite, it is thick , impasto and only transparent if I add a lot of water .
I've seen the product, but haven't yet used it. To reduce the transparency of acrylic, use something like Titanium White or Naples Yellow, plus the genuine Cadmium colours (not the Hue varieties). It should be more generally opaque (the acrylic gouache, that is) - but if you thin any paint too much (not saying that you do!) it will allow bleed-through. You know of course that some colours just are transparent - pthalo blue and green, crimsons and magentas, raw sienna, veridian hue; if you're finding your palette too transparent, try either mixing white with those, or use cobalt blue, cadmium red, yellow ochre, chromium oxide green, instead. If you do try the acrylic gouache, come back and tell us how you got on with it.
Will do! I've found previously that the acrylics I was using have been quite transparent, but maybe that's the make and particular colours I've been using.
Interesting....
Friends bought me a set of Turner Acrylic Gouache a few years ago and i have only just got round to using them. I normally paint in oils or acrylics, but thought I would give the gouache a try.But before wading in I checked youtube videos and Jacksons art website for more information. There's quite a lot out there if you look for it. I enjoyed using the acrylic gouache , it can be watered down or used straight from the tube. It bends well, dries very very quickly, but can be over painted with ease. I think a retarder has been produced to slow the drying time. I have just finished a painting using it and will post that tomorrow. I painted on a gessoed MDF panel, but think you can use a wide variety of surfaces. Happy painting!
Thanks for the response Stephen - I've seen your painting on FB, of course, and it'll be a great help to anyone who studies it, together with your post (and welcome back, too).