Titanium White Question?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Would I be ok to drop some Gesso into Titanium White to make it whiter? I am thinking it'll be ok....but just want to check with the collective minds on here.
You can mix acrylic 'gesso' with other acrylic paint, yes - it's an acrylic primer, made in much the same way as acrylic paint; or even exactly the same way, but the components mixed differently to ensure smooth coverage. When I wanted a really white, opaque paint, I turned to Winsor and Newton's artist quality Titanium White, and also to Chromacolour's Chroma White, both of which worked well. But I've also used acrylic gesso as a cheaper white paint, or substitute for tube paint - no problems that I'm aware of.
You are talking acrylics here, I hope - he said, suddenly panicking..... The very unlikely thought has just come to me that you, being a user of oil paint too, were thinking of adding acrylic gesso to oil paint, which certainly wouldn't be all right.. But you couldn't possibly have meant that......... could you?
Haha... thank you Robert. Yes acrylic not oils.