Describing art style

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi folks, Does anyone else struggle in describing what style their paintings are in? I have no formal art training, so I tend to leave the boxes for style unticked. When it comes to terms such as loose, figurative, impressionist, genre, gestural and expressive I don't know what this means. I have uploaded this painting to the gallery today and again left the box unticked. I would love to know how to describe my painting style. It would be good to hear what others have to say on this topic, Thanks Dawn
I also don't understand all the boxes, Dawn. Just ticking the ones about the materials I used, if it is landscape, botanical, abstract,.. If you don't understand it, ignore it. You probably know the difference between a drawing and an oil painting, etc... so... just tick the ones you want and that is enough (I think). Your work will be shown in the general gallery anyway. http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/MiaKetels
I tend to ignore the boxes, because it doesn't seem to make much difference, but if in doubt tick 'figurative', which may suit your painting too. Although as these categories overlap, you could just as easily tick 'abstract'. I don't think it makes much difference unless people search out these terms when they look at the gallery.
Robert, I search out these terms from time to time. As well as searching out work by my favourite artists I sometimes want to find examples of a particular subject matter, or style (eg abstract), or use of specific materials (eg acrylic inks). I do agree that style can be a bit hard to pin down, I'm a bit at a loss to put mine in a category. So I hope that those who do tick them (I always try to get as close as I can to what I think) will continue to do so. Style probably more nebulous, - you can tick more than one box though? but the other categories are useful.
p.s. Dawn I like your painting a lot.
Thanks for your answers folks. It seems I am not on my own! Thanks for the tip, Robert. Glad you like the painting Sandra