China markers (grease pencils)

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've just seen these pencils mentioned in a book I'm reading - Compendium of Drawing Techniques by Donna Krizek. I've never seen them in artists' shops or online. What are they like and how do you use them?
I have an ancient white china marker I used to use it for highlights on sketches , watercolour etc. I think it's been superceeded by white markers etc. But i still use it on occasion plus you can sharpen it to a lovely fine point for fine lines. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=0ahUKEwjO3t-21LPXAhXMzaQKHbFMCwkQFghXMA8&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGrease_pencil&usg=AOvVaw0cm6cxo55cnp6n0GVLmZDj

Edited
by SylviaEvans

Usually called Chinagraph pencils - I have a few, which I use on paper now and then; they wear down quite quickly. They're a wax pencil for use on porcelain, glass and so on:, but on paper they're useful for creating a resist. So far as I know, the range of colours is limited: but then while I've used a blue and a white and a black one for years in various applications, I've never felt inclined to explore further because their use is limited, too.
I have a few Chinagraph pencils, Black and White ones which I use for drawing on plates when Litho printing. As Robert says, they repel water and ink etc. As for drawing on paper, I found them virtually useless as a drawing tool, this was never their intended purpose.
Thank you for the information. I probably won't buy one of the china markers, its use seems limited.
Snag with them is that there's not much gradation between strong tones, and very weak ones - maybe they could help with very basic drawing..... but on the whole, I wouldn't waste much time on them unless you have a specific use for them. But, changing the subject, may I recommend Wolff's carbon pencils instead? They have their problems too, eg, they hate any suggestion of grease on the paper and won't work with it at all, but on dry, clean paper they're much more versatile even than charcoal - on the whole, I prefer conté crayon, and indeed charcoal, but carbon pencils are well worth pursuing as a sensitive drawing medium. They're black, though - no colours. Work very interestingly with colour washes, ink, water, coloured pencil, oil pastel (used after the carbon pencil, of course, they won't work on top): I realize this is widely off topic, but if you haven't tried them you really should.
Yes, I've heard of Wolf carbon pencils although I've never been able to find them. I've got a couple of Conte carbon pencils, HB and 2B. They seem paler than I would have thought and I don't use them much. I'll have another go.

Edited
by keora

Keora, they are known as Wollf's carbon pencil, now having the name of Royal Sovereign also printed on the pencil. I have some here so they are available from the main art stores. Conte special carbon pencils are exactly the same except that they are slightly thicker and I prefer the slimmer version.
Thanks, I've found that Jackson's Art sells Wolf carbon pencils so I'm ordering one.
Should warn you (a bit late, I know) that they can be something of a swine to sharpen, especially the softer grades - I can't usually do it with a sharpener, because the 'leads' crack, so use a sharp pen-knife. Any blade should be able to do it, just take it slowly and carefully. You won't get a needle point - more of a chisel edge; the fineness of line is all down to the pressure you apply. PS - if it wasn't clear (and it wasn't!) I'm talking about carbon pencils here - having dismissed Chinagraph from my mind (which are as much use as a chocolate teapot for drawing with, but doubtless have their place).

Edited
by RobertJones

I had one lying around here, so I took it for a quick test drive on some cheap printer paper: One can rapidly cover large areas in tone. But I don[t think it has the same richness as charcoal (though it isn't as messy!). Also, you can't erase, and you can see the problem with that in the sketch above: if you make a mess of things you just have to live with it. I think they may have some use if you want to work quickly and mostly linearly, using a bold approach: I have a feeling Picasso would have known how to use them. :-)
Yes, I've got a couple - and do the odd sketch with them, they're good for a very dark line, and you can adjust the pressure. Subtle they ain't, but that's not what they're intended for. Like your drawings, anyway!