Gold in Oil

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello I am fairly new to painting as I only took it up after surgery. I have a long way to go as far as my painting is concerned but I am enjoying putting oil on canvas and wood and seeing what can be achieved by mixing colours together. I would now like some advice please. I am attempting to paint a Byzantine church mosaic but I am finding it hard to get a shimmering gold colour, admittedly I have only got Winton series 1 oils and am now looking at their series 2 range which does offer a Gold, Renaissance Gold, Transparent Gold Ochre and a Green Gold. Does anyone have experience of these colours or advice on how I can achieve a shimmering gold effect ? Should I look at another supplier for one or two tubes of a better range of oils which may give me a better effect ? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You Paul
As you say, Winsor and Newton offer several metallic pigments in their Artists' oil range - I've not used them, though have used gold acrylic. Will those paints give you the shimmering look you find in icon painting ..... hmm. Well, they'll give you a muted gold, which will be picked up by candlelight (which is how most icons would have been seen) but the more expensive route, for a brighter appearance, can only really be got from gold leaf, or imitation gold leaf. I'm no authority on that ... I wouldn't even know the best way to apply it. Try the gold paint - see if it gives you the look you want. If it does, fine: you won't need the leaf. If it doesn't - well you may find an alternative use for the paint one day; but you'll probably have to try the gilding method, on which there are books available.
PS - don't be misled by paint names like Transparent gold ochre - it won't give you a metallic gold look, it's just a rich, transparent yellow ochre; the same is I think true of Green Gold, i.e. it's a colour, not a metallic paint - you want the metallics.
Try some acrylic gold . if it doesnt please you can paint over it when dry......Syd