Gold in Oil

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello I am fairly new to painting as I only took it up after surgery. I have a long way to go as far as my painting is concerned but I am enjoying putting oil on canvas and wood and seeing what can be achieved by mixing colours together. I would now like some advice please. I am attempting to paint a Byzantine church mosaic but I am finding it hard to get a shimmering gold colour, admittedly I have only got Winton series 1 oils and am now looking at their series 2 range which does offer a Gold, Renaissance Gold, Transparent Gold Ochre and a Green Gold. Does anyone have experience of these colours or advice on how I can achieve a shimmering gold effect ? Should I look at another supplier for one or two tubes of a better range of oils which may give me a better effect ? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You Paul
Paul, I think if you post this in the 'Oils' forum section lower down the page you might get a response from someone who knows the colours you mention. I'm afraid they are not pigments I use.
Doooh! I've just seen you have duplicated your post in the Oils section. Hope it gets a response.
you can buy a gold dust that you mix to make gold paint with gold size ,,for building work I used it on column edges in malls and hotel front panels .It was a cheap way of saving costs of real gold leaf, .you can varnish it .,it is possible you could use it in an oil base
Just realized we've got two threads going on the same question - wonder if I could copy this lot and transfer to the oils section; is it worth it? Or would that just make confusion doubly confusing?
Thank You for all your suggestions, they have been most helpful. I have decided to carry on with the paints I have and achieve a gold colour through mixing and using light and shadow to give the effect of a brighter colour. If I do not like the results I will keep trying until I do. Sorry about the confusion on having two threads but I was just following advice, I will make sure it does not happen again. I am glad to have found this web site and that so many of you have taken the time to reply to my post. Thank You Paul
Not your fault at all, don't worry about that. If you want to achieve a metallic glow effect, though, do pop down to the Oil section and see how you can do it - you won't achieve a metallic gold sheen by mixing conventional oil colours, you will need either a metallic leaf, or metallic paints, and they are available.