Blue sky blues

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Well I have watched Alan Owen videos till Im thinking like a Yorkshireman but I STILL cannt get thos oh so simple skies to look like his. Youve seen my "stylised" skies...they arent really stylised, just the best I get. I am beginning to wonder whether its the paper or the brushes...but I know a bad workman blames his tools so am convinced it is technique. I do wonder whether it s actually the act of viewing his skies on the screen and mine in large full size real life? Onward friends, ever onward. D

Edited
by DavidG4YVM

David shucks lad all I do is ..I let the paper do the work . wet the paper ,,,dont have it leaning so it runs down like the clappers, dab a teardrop of cobal ultra or whatever on your damp paper .,,, sit on your hands ..leave well alone . ,and concentrate on your land scape, ,,, most sky ,s have nowt in em any way, their was an artists who did not paint his skys .just did em plain, and very light, try and let yourself be with me part loose floppy society , there are enough screwed up artists as it is ,,hee hee, and any way I dont not know out proper about it ,,I am asleep half the day .

Edited
by alanowen

I can't get Alan's skies either - there's years, decades, half a century of experience behind them. I wouldn't even begin to suggest how you might achieve the same, but - try the softer colours; cobalt blue, plus a bit of raw sienna, light red, Indian red - mix your cobalt with untramarine, plenty of water .... and practise and then practise again. If you want to paint like Alan, just keep watching him - but it's not easy..... he makes it look easy, but - it isn't!
, just for interest ,, use Venitiian Red ( Egyptian ,and ,Indian are to dark ) Venetian Red has the same 101 x102 ,,add a touch of raw sienna and it is light red .. I like to use Venetian red for WXN light red In sky,s I find it a beautiful useful colour, I am not sure if it is still an oxide though,
Might be a synthetic oxide now, Alan - but I've used it in all sorts of media: and I sold the watercolour in which I'd employed it, too! Not often I manage to do that..... it added instant warmth.