Cityscape realism

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hiya. This is the Laurinska palace. One of Stockholms most famous Cityscape silhouettes. I lived a few blocks away from here growing up. So my goal was to create a cosy setting where the life was inside the apartments in contrast to the bitter cold winter outside. I'm pretty happy with the result but I think it's too lifeless and although my goal was to keep a limited color palette it may lack in variety..something is missing anyways, can't put my finger on it. What do you think? Is it too boring?www.mindgem.se

Edited
by MindGem

No. it's not boring. Offer it to the Palace and see if they want to hang it on a wall somewhere
I have visited Stockholm several times in the past, it is indeed a fine backdrop and well worthy of painting. It is a very accurate representation Mike but more than that I can't really make a comment. You have put it on the gallery so you will get comments on there, you can always edit your post and add the words 'critique please' or something like that which should bring some suggestions.
Quite the opposite - I love the palette, particularly the warmth of the windows and the blue of the rooftops. I think that the windows do a superb job of bringing the painting to life. Anth
You've painted a fine accurate rendering of a vey imposing building MindGem. I'm using my laptop so I've been able to see the image full size. I like the textural treatment of the brickwork and your treatment of the melting snow in the roof edges. The only feature which makes me a bit uneasy is the absence of a foreground leaving the building apparently floating - a line of pavement or reflections if it stands on wateredge somewhere would help. I'm sure you would find a gallery to show it - snow scenes will become topical as Christmas draws approaches. I wouldn't expect much from the PO Gallery your painting will have vanished from sight in a day or two - or you may be lucky and have management decide to show it on the front page of their website. I've had great pleasure from looking at your painting - thank you.

Edited
by robK2

Thank you everyone for your warm feedback. I got elevated by this so I'm going to post another painting :)