Which way from here?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I returned from a trip to Venice with some sketches and a mound of photographs. Have started a painting of the Salute, to add to the thousands of (better) efforts by others. At present I have just blocked in shapes as an under painting and will give it a few days to dry before doing any more. It could improve or end up in the bin so we'll see which it is.
Good start pal, what's the medium please?
It's in oil Derek, hence the drying period.
strange minds ,,I have been doing a couple of desert scenes ,after a famous watercolorist, and the magical colours he uses are elusive ,,,,,,,,, at the moment I have settled for TERRE ECOLANO,, ((Daniel Smith)) it is described as sand tone ,the blue of choice I picked to mix with it is COBALT BLUE.,, nearly all the painting can be done with these two colours ,,, the shadows in the buildings and the warmth of the walls and roofs ect I find colour so exciting ,more so than the actual design of the scene ,and so critical
I've worked it into something approaching finished but like. I suspect, most other painters, I can see the faults in my own work only too well.
This has shaped up very nicely Peter, one of my favourite scenes that I have painted many times, generally in oils from my sketchbook watercolours painted at the scene. Anyway, faults... I can't see anything glaring at me but as you say, we judge our own work with a critical eye, I rarely like anything that I paint and that's how it is with many of us. Keep up the good work.
My main issue would be keeping the buildings vertical. You are going for a subdued colour scheme which is opposite to many versions and I like this diversity.
Thanks guys. The buildings do look a bit out of plumb in the photo but re OK on the original, something to do with the cameraman I suspect. I tried to get the difference between the warm diffused light at the end of the day and the cool shadowed areas but I need to do it again to get it better.
Thanks Alan I'll give that a try.
I've re-photographed the finished study and posted it in the gallery. Using the camera zoom seemed to have the necessary effect.