How to photograph your paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Here is a video explaining how you can photograph your painting using a camera and here is a video explaining how you can do it using a mobile phone.
That's really useful. I'm looking through my camera manual at White Balance as we speak.

Edited
by alang23

Thanks Pat, I really struggle to et anywhere near a decent photograph of my paintings and for that reason rarely post pictures of them in the gallery. Unfortunately I understood little of what the photographer was saying as he seemed to be speaking a technical language I don't understand but I'll watch it a couple more times to see if the mist clears at all.
Really great info Pat, thanks.
Ta daaaaaa!!!!! The white of the paper looking more white-ish in a photo taken with a proper camera :-) Yes, I know she looks a bit like Hitler in the sketch on the right but that's completely and utterly beside the point. Thanks for the video link Pat. It's such a simple fix, too.

Edited
by alang23

Thanks for the post Pat, I had seen it before as I am a member of Saatchi Online and was directed to it when I joined, but it was well worth a second look. Like many of us, I struggle to get any consistency with my photo's due mainly to the light (or lack of it), winter and dull days being the main culprit. Quite by chance it appears that I have the same camera that the Saatchi man was using, (so no excuses), a Canon PowerShot SX 720 HS, bought recently I may add, so still not sure of how to set the thing up properly. However I will persevere and the short video clip does raise some useful points to watch out for and will hopefully point me in the right direction. (no pun intended).
Alan - I'm looking to replace my camera and by coincidence have been considering the Canon SX 720 - it's about the right size and sophistication for my use - I know you've not had it long but thus far is it one you'd feel comfortable recommending?
Michael, it is so light and handy, it fits into your top pocket. I can control all the settings as advised in the video clip, ie. f8, ISO100, lighting, etc and the zoom lens is brilliant for getting those close-up shots so I am well pleased with it. A small correction - the camera in the clip is a Canon S 95 which has long been superseded by the SX 720 HS which is similar but superior. Jessops and others are selling it for around the £350/370 mark, Curry's for £350 but I went through Ebay and bought it at Curry's for £250 including a decent carry case and a small Gorilapod tripod, limited stocks mind you which is not surprising. Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks Alan - I really appreciate your detailed response which is most helpful. I'll be taking it further and will let you know how I get on.