Acrylic Pour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I've just been reading another thread in which Wendy Satchwell's acrylic pour art is discussed and thought I would post my own experiences thus far with this form of medium. I already work in a similar fashion in acrylic inks with which many will be familiar as I've posted quite a number over the past year so. However I wanted to try out the pouring method which Wendy uses but being a skinflint I didn't want to buy yet another set of mediums unless I was sure I would get on with them. I therefore decided to experiment and have just completed a few paintings in this style using acrylic paint mixed with water and PVA glue. The results have been very satisfying albeit the cleaning up afterwards is a bit of a pain. I have also tried just acrylic paint mixed only with water which provides a different surface effect although I'm not sure if this will show up in photos. Like my acrylic ink work I have used mountboard for these works which are then presented with a mount behind glass. The maximum size so far painted is frame size approx. 30ins by 18ins. However I would like to work on a larger scale like Wendy and am considering trying it out on canvas. Anyway that side of it is work not yet even in progress. What I have found is that acrylic pour does not provide some of the more subtle effects I get with acrylic ink. Hopefully if time allows I will post some of the Acrylic pour work in the gallery over the next few days. In the meantime I will be interested if any other contributors have tried out acrylic pour methods and, if so, to hear of their experiences.

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

Just seen your stunning latest on the Gallery. What proportions of paint water and glue do you use?
I've just posted a couple of my first experiments using this method one of which I kept simple and will hopefully be in a local gallery soon. If you fancy a peep at it it's at:: http://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_201758.htm The other is a bit too in your face - I used an off-cut of awful coloured mount board and it would have worked better on a more neutral board but as it was only part of an experiment it served a useful purpose.
Sandra - I used about one third glue to two thirds water and coloured the mix to taste as the chefs would say. Mind you mixing proved quite difficult. I did all the mixing in disposable cups which ended up in the bin. I think I might stick (no pun intended) to a simple water and acrylic paint mix for my next few tries.
And Nottingham is not far from me - in fact I worked there for a few years. No, I've not tried Acrylic ink with PVA - might give it a go but it is such a messy medium and I've had brushes stuck to towels stuck to boards stuck to table tops stuck to me - sort of stuck up you might say. !! But give it a go Ellen and if you do let me know how you get on. One thing I will say is that I find when using ink the results are more 'sensuous' and less gung ho than pouring acrylics whereas the latter are better for working big. I must add that acrylic inks are my first love for this kind of work but I will continue to dabble with the acrylic pouring methods which can be quite liberating.
Acrylic pour really does interest me but it is so messy - don't think I want all that cleaning up. Wendy Satchell was in the Castle Gallery in York - beautiful work!
I've just looked Wendy up on the internet, beautiful work. Paintings by this method are taking on here too, with some amazing results. I've attended workshops on the method, which are offered by one of the staff in our local arts materials shop. We used Liquitex pouring medium, a small amount in each of about four or five small cups. We added a few drops of acrylic ink to each (ink does work better than acrylic paint). Then poured the various mixtures onto a large canvas and tipped it to create a pattern - takes lots of practice! Something to be aware of is the fact that this medium keeps moving for a few hours so the result you get at the time is not the end result. And the medium is extremely adhesive, the demonstrator had left one of her works to dry overnight, sitting on a chair. She thought it was level but in the morning some of the medium had slid down the sides, onto the chair, and down onto the carpet. The chair had to be cut out of the carpet, and the painting cut out of the chair! I haven't continued with this method, just a bit messy, but I do like the results other people get.
I'm sorry, I just had to laugh - oh dear!
The next method I'm going to try is water with a quality plaster to make a thick gloopy mixture but will stick with acrylic paint - prefer to keep acrylic for my tried and tested method of producing abstracts
Sylvia and Adele, very happy to have given you a laugh, and your reply Sylvia certainly gave me one. Pat I don't know whether the demonstrator took a photo but presume yes seeing it would have been an insurance claim. However if there was one we didn't get to see it. I see Ali's pour paintings whenever I go into that shop and she is certainly getting pretty good.
Reading Sylvia's comment has made my eyes water!!
It made my eyes water too - thankfully just my eyes.
Showing page 1 of 2