I think we're being targeted ...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
The other day, I asked people to be conscious that some of our contributors to the Forum and the Gallery don't have English as their first language. At the same time, I've seen some rather suspicious posts over the last few days, inviting valuations or comments for what look to me very like Chinese art-factory knock-offs, with all the originality of a first-class stamp. And today, we have an invitation to visit just such an online art-factory in Fujian. These posters are mistaking this for a site on which commercial links can be advertised for free: and some of the pictures being posted are mildly artfully inviting comments in order to draw attention to 'genuine hand-painted oils', so far as I can see. A clue is given by the border around the paintings, suggesting either that they're actually prints or that they've been produced using a template - taking a sheet of unstretched canvas (or even paper) sticking masking tape around the edges, and bashing yet another one out. It could be that some of the posts are genuine, but frankly I don't think they are. Now - there's nothing wrong with trade, but if you want to advertise your wares, the Advertising Manager at the company which provides this site for us will be interested to hear from you. Unless instructed otherwise by my great leader (Dawn) I'll remove posts which are obviously not what they're pretending to be, and certainly any that link to a Chinese production-line. Sorry, but it's getting annoying now, and it's wasting members' time.
Bravo. I second that.
Spot-on Robert, I've been smelling a big fat rat myself. I see our Twist chappie has a posting on today's top gallery, an exact copy of a van Gogh (that's according to Roeland), but I did think it looked familiar and it is very well copied - he is from Hong Kong.

Edited
by alanbickley

I think you are maybe correct although I have tended to accept the posts you refer to at face value, not wanting to discourage a novice or non English speaker. or perhaps I am just more gullible!
Agree wholly with Robert, spot on.
Interestingly, the link on that knock-off van Gogh takes you to a company which appears to have removed the oil paintings page - what that actually means, I don't know. The company itself is Chinese: as you'd suspect....
Am rather cheesed off to have been taken in by this one (not knowledgeable enough to have realised it is a knock-off). It even made it to the featured section. Have just unliked it and removed my comment on it.
Yesterday I have had a person calling themselves Michel Nichson trawl through my gallery pages, from some early work to my latest posting. They have cut and pasted all or part of my profile and tagged it to a long list of artists' names, why?, I have no idea, no comment or anything and I don't know if it's related to this current spate of 'idiots' and their scams but it is annoying and frankly pointless on their part. So far they have made about a dozen or so entries which I hope is it. If you want to see what I mean it might be quickest to go to the Home page and look at 'The Pier at Sandown' where they have made two separate 'entries'. Is it just me or have other members had the same experience from this 'half-wit' with nothing better to do with his sad life?.
Just to let you all know that Mr TWIST has posted two ballet paintings?? in the last half an hour. I have had one of my painting doctored and displayed just for a bit of FUN a little while ago I was very upset about it . in the end I had to ask Dawn to remove from the artist's gallery, as he would not reply to emails from or Dawn. so I can sympathise with any copying of your own paintings surely something can be done about this??? Tao
Dawn has removed two of the perpetrators of my particular scam (see my comment earlier), they are samantha roadiys and Michel Dickson but there are many more. Yes Tao, I see a Henry Twist has just posted three paintings on the gallery and a posting on the forum, copies I wonder?... There must be many Twists out there - Oliver perhaps will be next.

Edited
by alanbickley

I have just requested for Umber Smidh to be removed too - let me know if you have any other specific names and I will do my best.
I must admit I tuned in the other day and tuned out again after scratching my head in wonder. Thought I was going bonkers!
Showing page 1 of 2