My book is here!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, A few have you have asked me previously about the book I've been writing and I'm delighted to let you know that 'Vibrant Oils' has been printed and the first copies are on their way to me now! How exciting! Just noticed there is a competition here on Painters Online to win one of ten brand new copies, failing that you can now get hold of one via my website and I'll even sign it for you ;-) www.haideejo.com Haidee-Jo
That must be so exciting for you Haidee-Jo, I was one of those who asked you a while back so will be in touch. Let's hope that it's a huge success and you go on to write many more over the years. If I do win one of the 10 giveaways it will make a nice present. I ordered your DVD from you some months back now which Is great but then I won a goodie-bag from The Artist last month for the 'Star letter of the month', some smashing gifts arrived including guess what? yes, a copy of your DVD, my younger daughter was the lucky benefactor and she also loves it. Correction, it was the June edition, time flies.

Edited
by alanbickley

Thanks Alan, it is rather exciting not least because it means I've finally finished writing it! Can't believe you ended up with two copies of the DVD - what are the chances eh? Glad to hear your daughter likes it anyway. What was your star letter about by the way? I think I may have missed it. In France at the moment so I can't look up the June issue.
Yes Haidee-Jo, it did bring a smile to my face when I opened the package, had a lovely little half-pan set of watercolours and a great art book also, just won a set of oil pastels for a letter in this month's LP so I can't complain. Anyway, my letter in TA was written in response to Martin Kinnear's article titled Value and Chiaroscuro in which I related some of my own personal experiences on this subject.
Congratulations Haidee-Jo, I will be obtaining a copy by competition or purchase asap. I know the effort required to write any book having written and had published a textbook some ten years ago (business related, nothing to do with art). I'm currently working on the updates and revisions for the third edition, due for publication next year, and it seems never-ending. If all the royalties etc. were divided by the number of hours put in I wonder if I am achieving the minimum wage! I'm sure your book will continue the success of the DVD and you'll exceed the minimum wage!
Got to get this - I've written an e-book (not a plug for it this time) and I know how much work it took: it's put me off writing another, because I'm lazy, but I'd love to see it in hard covers (one of our members here did indeed print a copy for me on his own press - it awakened my desire to see it in print and on sale. You've actually gone and done it, so congratulations: if you only pass on a tenth of your knowledge, it'd still be worth every penny - you're an extraordinary painter.
Congratulations - hope it sells well.
I've purchased the book and dvd on recommendation from, Alan, and I couldn't have been given sounder advice for starting with oils. The dvd is an inspiration, the carrot shed and old milking parlour was true inspiration as these are the subjects I want to paint. the information in the book, for me, is more than a worthwhile read, the pictures are great, but its the text that gives the advice and should not be overlooked. Back in October I went on a 'nature walk' workshop foraging for haiku, at the Richard Jefferies museum, Swindon, for those who are interested in the meaning of, nature walk, look up 'ginko,' The museum is an atmospheric old place, I'm glad I took some pictures. This is a quick tonal sketch of an old shepherds hut I've just done, I took a picture of in the garden, I will be adding the foliage. Can't wait to get started.

Edited
by carol

You're right there, Marjorie, and at my age you'd think I would have calmed down a bit, not ready to let my autumn leaves fall, just yet :)
So true :)
Woo, Michael, your treading on thin ice there, you wicked man, I think you know what I mean :)
Me? Wicked? I'm just a simple guy - very simple some say. Lol 😘
Showing page 1 of 2