colour comparison

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I recently compared permanent rose, rose madder quinacridone and permanent alizaron crimson and found the colours to be a close match in use........I also found W&N cad. yellow medium very similar to azo yellow medium. and the lemon yellows of two different firms were surprisingly close. We could be carrying around a few colours we did not need. Has anyone else found close matches of colour like this ? See my colours here.
It does pay to look at the information on the tube, especially (if they offer it: not all do) the pigment number - otherwise you can find yourself buying two or three tubes of the same colour, or as near as makes no difference. Cadmium Yellow should be a strong, very opaque yellow veering towards orange: Lemon Yellow should be somewhat more transparent, leaning in a cooler (greener/bluer) direction. Alizarin Crimson in acrylic is a devious little devil, because genuine Alizarin can't be used to make acrylic paints - so it might be a quinacridone (and probably is), which will also be the base used for Permanent Rose, which itself goes under a variety of different names (rose madder; rose madder quinacridone; quinacridone rose; quinacridone violet - and a few more). Cadmium Yellow Hue might really be Azo Yellow - but if it's called Cadmium Yellow, that's what it should be: and it should be distinguishable from Azo Yellow. You get duplication dangers with other paints of course - particularly with the Pthalo/pthalocyanine colours, which are described sometimes as Monestial, Monastral, or Winsor colours - but I think most acrylic makers, and I hope all of them, don't call them anything other than Pthalo Blue or Green, because all this is confusing enough already! There's often not a lot of difference between Indigo and Prussian Blue, either - both are likely to be based on Pthalo Blue, because of the difficulty in making the dyes work with acrylic resin: and you could mix something very like the usual Prussian Blue colour yourself, by adding a bit of black or Payne's Grey to Pthalo Blue. Then, Cerulean and Cobalt Blue in acrylic is usually a form of Pthalo Blue, because of, among other things, the cost of the genuine pigments and, again, the problem with making them compatible with acrylic resin - I'm not sure it's even possible. In theory, you should be able to make your own version of Cobalt Blue in acrylic by just adding white to Pthalo, but - in practice, it's not that easy. Still - try it and see. You can certainly make your own purples and violets - but now and then, it's convenient to have a tube of dioxazine or prism violet to hand; and if they're well-made, they might be cleaner and sharper than colours we can mix ourselves .... there's a colour made by Winsor and Newton; well two colours: one is Cadmium Lemon, which is a gorgeously sharp, clear yellow; the other I like rather a lot, in skies for example, is Medium Magenta - now you could, in theory, mix that yourself, but it would take a lot of doing to get that warmth and consistency. So - keep an eye on the labels, try not to duplicate the same colours, but some W & N colours, and Daler Rowney's, especially the brighter ones, probably are best bought ready-made. Now, of course, there are some colours whose names sound as if they're a chemical formula - but they're unique, and we can't readily mix them ourselves; and they can be hard to resist.
This is really helpful to know. Will also keep on file.
I use Daler Rowney Georgian Paynes Grey which comes out blackish but I have used other Paynes Greys which have a bluish black appearance which I definitely like better. Prussian Blue being my most loved colour of all time.
Marialena - you'll be on firm ground with Syd, because he hates the pthalo colours in any medium. Speaking here of both acrylics and watercolour - I rarely use them in oil unless they're hidden, as they are, in other colours (eg, W & N's Manganese Blue, which is sometimes an interesting colour to use, but it's a variant of Pthalo nowadays) - I have used the Pthalo colours; in watercolour, they are, as you say, extremely invasive and have to be handled with enormous care. In acrylic - depends on how you use it; a little Pthalo Blue can be a useful mixer - but even then, I realize some still hate it. As for W & N's tubes - I keep a strong magnifying-glass to hand just to read their w/colour labels... they haven't reduced the size to unreadability on their acrylic tubes too, have they? I have a large collection of acrylic paints, and haven't bought a W & N tube lately.