Winnie the Pooh Painting competition on Facebook

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Following our dog painting competition on Facebook, we are currently running a competition to paint characters from Winne the Pooh, or a painting in the style of E. H. Shepard, for the chance to win the new book 'The Art of Winnie the Pooh, How E. H. Shepard Illustrated an Icon' http://painte.rs/2vop7oc
Hm. Well .... not for me. I was bored rigid by Winnie the Pooh when a small and lovable child. Now if you'd said Dracula - illustrate the characters from Dracula - I'd have been tumbling over myself to get the entries in. You could give a prize - the collected works of Bram Stoker; bound in.... flesh..... You know you want to, now I've suggested it...
As EHS died in the mid 70s isn't there a copyright issue here?
Honestly,Robert. I grew up reading a copy of The World Of Pooh, which had both books, all the illustrations and full page colour illustrations; I used to read it to my sons and my granddaughter has had the benefit of When We Were Very Young. All Good Stuff. I'm tempted to have a crack at this one; I've only got two concerts and Her Indoors' birthday to work on.
Yeah - I love a bit of Goth!
Sorry to repeat myself but although it is not a subject that appeals to me in any way, if it were, I still wouldn't participate without assurances that images could be used copy right free.
Forget Facebook Syd - not worth the hassle!
Back to Michael - after all, he's tried to bring us back to the subject twice now - there would surely only be a copyright issue if competition entrants tried to copy the work of E H Shephard rather than their own interpretation of the characters in the book. But I agree with him too that the invitation is a bit ambiguous on this point - the Disney film was made with the cooperation of Shephard's estate, I think, and did adapt his characters - did they directly copy them? I didn't see the film, and haven't been anywhere near the books for around 60 years, so I don't really know. No doubt TAPC has given this thought and will put minds at rest - but if they do have to scrap the competition I do, as I say, have this Dracula idea...... oh go on! Presumably the company is doing this in conjunction with the book publisher, so I'm sure they've covered everything they need to. Facebook, Syd - much easier to do it on a pc, I should think: you can see what you're doing on a big screen, and even I managed to get an account - I don't remember it being very difficult, but perhaps I've just censored my memory. There are lots of good things on there, but it's also a very, very effective way of wasting hours and hours of your time - if I lost my account for any reason, I don't think I'd be in any hurry to recover it: there's also some unpleasant stuff on there, and too many people to fall out with.
A lot depends on who owns the copyright, Did EHS sell it on? To Disney? Is it still owned by his estate? Was it used by Disney under licence? Surely it's not owned by the publishers of the book. I've not seen the film but guess it's sufficiently faithful to the EHS illustrations to be deemed covered by the original copyright whoever owns it. The invitation asks 'from or in the style of' - 'In the style of' is okay but to paint characters 'from' (ie to copy) is another matter. I would guess the publishers have permission from the copyright holders to use the illustrations but I doubt if they have rights enabling them to pass that permission on to third parties.
how about winnie the pooh gothic style?
It seems to work well for you Sylvia and my son and daughter use it all the time. I think some of us are put off of FB and Twitter by the amount of cyber abuse that seems to go on nowadays. Perhaps one day I may try it!