Do you like this drawing Super Mario Odyssey?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hey guys! I uploaded a new video drawing with Super Mario Odyssey and it would mean the world to me if you checked it out 😊
FAB.
Thank you ^_^
Nintendo's website says that all designs and graphics are their property and you can use their designs for personal use only. Putting your video here, or on Youtube is public use which goes beyond the terms of that license and if Nintendo were to get funny about it, they could ask Youtube/ Painters Online to remove your video and they would have to do so. The main problem is that nowhere do you acknowledge Nintendo's ownership of the character, so you're passing it off as your own creation. That's where it gets sticky. If you get a commission from somebody because of your Mario pictures then Nintendo could argue you've breached the "Personal Use" term of your license and demand Royalties. The royalty might well consume any profit you make from the commission; fighting the litigation certainly would. It's all a very murky area, so go careful. As a useful comparison, the phrases "American Pie", "Bye bye Miss American Pie" and "drove my Chevvy to the levy" are all registered Trademarks of Don Mclean - you can't use them in any venture without his prior written permission and paying his fees to use them. You would also have to acknowledge his ownership in what you produce that uses his trademarks.
It's fun and it is my childhood memories.
I think the profit element - ie, trying to sell these illustrations - would be the real problem, and I don't see Nintendo coming down on us: at worst they could put a cease and desist notice on this website, which would be no real problem - TAPC would simply comply with the order. I doubt if they'll pursue the artist herself here either - they might on YouTube. But honestly, that's her look-out, and she could comply with any removal request/order just as easily as we could. On the whole, strictly speaking, and all that - I wouldn't do it just on the outside chance that trouble could ensue: not keen on trouble, would rather avoid it. But I agree with Seamas that it's a bit of fun, and probably a good idea for Julia to keep up her drawing skills, which seem to be of a high order. I also agree with Sylvia that we should make people aware of possible copyright infringements, though, because they might not be fully conscious of the murk they could wander into. There'll be an individual artist somewhere behind Nintendo's images, who could get narked - but I think if I were him or her, I'd take it as a tribute. PS: I hadn't actually watched the speed-drawing before by the way, but have now - of course speed drawing can be deceptive, but I do admire Julia's sureness of touch: I can see myself 'knitting' my way around this image, ie making tentative lines, peering through my varifocals, removing them to peer even closer, scratching away at detail.... getting too nervous to commit to a flowing line, which suggests: I need more practice; they'll never employ me at Nintendo otherwise.....

Edited
by RobertJones