Which frame should I use ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
<p class="mceTemp">I am undecided regarding which frame to use for my new painting. Maybe you can help and cast your vote on this link or post your comments below. The painting is in acrylics on wood size 30x40cm. The mounted version would be in a frame size 40x50cm. Scoll down to view both versions.
Well I much prefer the mounted version - the mount sets it off so well. However I do have an aversion to brown wood frames which are certainly not so popular these days probably because they don't, imho, sit comfortably in modern settings. I am currently using a silver frame which has a black outer edge and a flat profile which is proving very popular - it would sit comfortably with the colour of the rocks and set this off a treat.
I've always made my own frames in the past Pat and I wouldn't have gone for brown because I like to create an individual frame for a particular painting. But I think the mounted one would look nicer because, as Michael says it sets off the paintings so well. Lovely painting by the way - those rocks and boulders look incredible!
The mount seems to give the painting more room to breathe - I think that's the one to go for. You've got big shapes in your painting, and the first frame competes with them to some extent, partly because it's so dark; although the gold trim helps a bit.
Hi Pat, first of all, beautiful painting, the texture you've captured on the rocks is so realistic. And after my post yesterday moaning about shades of green, you've shown me what can be done. On to your question, I also think the version with the mount looks better - much more fresh and modern. In terms of the frame, I am not a fan of dark wood frames either - for some reason they make me think of the pictures in pubs (no offence to pubs :D). I agree that a lighter frame, be it silver or otherwise would look lovely.
Definitely the second one with the mount Pat, and I agree with Michael that a silver frame would set it off well. It's a wonderful painting, such beautiful detail.
I agree - mounted. But black or silver frame to be in tune with rocks. A brown fram would make the granite look dull.