Profile Picture

Which frame should I use ?

Posted By landscapeart 5 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago

I am undecided regarding which frame to use for my new painting. Maybe you can help and cast your vote on this link or post your comments below. The painting is in acrylics on wood size 30x40cm. The mounted version would be in a frame size 40x50cm. Scoll down to view both versions.http://www.painters-online.co.uk/forum/uploads/images/77960703-3bc8-466d-bef3-a77e.jpghttp://www.painters-online.co.uk/forum/uploads/images/05d4df28-db96-4607-aadb-1109.jpg

All the best
Pat
https://landscapeartblog.wordpress.com/

MichaelEdwards
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User

Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)Esteemed User (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Well I much prefer the mounted version - the mount sets it off so well. However I do have an aversion to brown wood frames which are certainly not so popular these days probably because they don't, imho, sit comfortably in modern settings.  I am currently using a silver frame which has a black outer edge and a flat profile which is proving very popular - it would sit comfortably with the colour of the rocks and set this off a treat. 

landscapeart
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)

Thank you, Michael. Curious to see what else will be said.

All the best
Pat

Adele
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert

Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I've always made my own frames in the past Pat and I wouldn't have gone for brown because I like to create an individual frame for a particular painting.  But I think the mounted one would look nicer because, as Michael says it sets off the paintings so well.  Lovely painting by the way - those rocks and boulders look incredible!

Adele M. Elgood

EllenM
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)Forum Member + (367 reputation)

I prefer the mounted version, and if it were mine I'd put it into a silver frame to show off the rocks. It's a great painting and the dark frame detracts.

Ellen
RobertJones
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)Prestige User (7.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
The mount seems to give the painting more room to breathe - I think that's the one to go for.  You've got big shapes in your painting, and the first frame competes with them to some extent, partly because it's so dark; although the gold trim helps a bit.  
Lucy22
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
Hi Pat, first of all, beautiful painting, the texture you've captured on the rocks is so realistic. And after my post yesterday moaning about shades of green, you've shown me what can be done. On to your question, I also think the version with the mount looks better - much more fresh and modern. In terms of the frame, I am not a fan of dark wood frames either - for some reason they make me think of the pictures in pubs (no offence to pubs :D). I agree that a lighter frame, be it silver or otherwise would look lovely. 
SydEdward
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I agree with you lucy regarding frame colour and mount . I also think the frame profie is old fashioned and dark. my mounts always had a deeper width at the botom to stop the painting looking as if it was falling off the bottom as it were. It woul improve the look,of the mount immensely. Thought you knew that Pat.😋....Syd

Syd Edward
Craftyme
Posted 5 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)Forum Member + (538 reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Definitely the second one with the mount Pat, and I agree with Michael that a silver frame would set it off well.  It's a wonderful painting, such beautiful detail.

Margaret Beynon

landscapeart
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Thank you all for your kind comments and advice. Mounted it will be then. Syd, my regular supplier sells off-the-shelf mounts with equal sized boarders all the way round. I suppose it is so that they can be used both in portrait and landscape mode.

All the best
Pat

Splosh
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert

Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)Forum Expert (778 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I agree - mounted.  But black or silver frame to be in tune with rocks.  A brown fram would make the granite look dull.