GALLERY

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
I would like to have a little whinge. I know it will not be very popular, but I wonder if it would of value to us all, if the posting of paintings was restricted to perhaps two paintings at a time. there are so many paintings that I would like to study and admire, but before I can make comments, the painting has vanish onto another page. it is very difficult to keep up with them all. As the page numbers go to no 10 then vanish to the very end. how does one look at pages 11 on onwards??? I do think it a little unfair of people to post 4 or even 5 paintings in one hit which means some paintings are move along without even beeb look at. I will now get off my soap box and await reaction and comments please don't be too hard on me !!!LOL
I can remember the days when we argued to limit the number to 4 and now with ever increasing activity I think Tao's suggestion might have some merit. The poetry site to which I contribute limits it to one per day and that works really well - after all who produces more than one painting per day ? I rarely ever contribute to the gallery or make comments these days simply because the numbers make it almost impossible to keep up and I'm sure I'm not alone.
The pages don't disappear - between the "10" and the ">>" are three dots. Click on the dots and you go forward 10 pages
As Alan says - you can find things if you try; but it's not always easy. You can also type into a search box that you want to see the latest watercolours, oils or whatever, which sometimes helps to find things. But as Michael observes, we've discussed this in the past - there was never, I think, a physical limit to the number of pictures to be posted, but a suggestion that it be kept to four. It would probably require a bit of technical jiggery-pokery to impose a real, physical limit and I don't think the site owners have ever really wanted to do that. So we're down to asking people to show some restraint and certainly not to dump their lifetime's work on the gallery in one huge deposit - you'd have thought people would realize that to show a lot of work in one go must mean that each individual piece won't get the attention it might deserve, and will also drive others' work off the first pages, but as a lifetime in politics, housing and health has taught me: people can be daft!
A limit of one posting per day would not be unreasonable but I think it is important for this site to encourage artists of all styles and abilities so need to be careful in introducing any restrictions on postings, as has been suggested elsewhere in the forum.
If they removed the top banners, which just include paintings which are within the first few pages anyway, there would be room to view more...I prefered the old site.
Morning, yes I agree that a one post a day limit would be a good idea. However, I'm not sure how the message could get out there because, having had a quick skim, it seems like the artists that then to post multiple images in one go don't seem to be active on the forum. And agreed Stub, def don't want to put anyone off, so needs to be explained/done carefully if it does happen.
When I joined POL last year there was definitely a limit of 4 paintings per day. I do agree that if an artist puts more than a couple of paintings on at a time, they don't get a lot of attention. Even if I like all the paintings an artist has put on in one go, I tend to comment on only one to save time. However, imposing restrictions would be hard unless it is done automatically by disallowing any more than the set number at any one time.
It was the case that it was impossible to post more than 4 per day even if you wanted to - from the comments above I am beginning to wonder if that is no longer the case. I certainly haven't spotted more than 4 being posted at any time but I am not a regular visitor to the gallery as I was once was. As I mentioned above, on MyPoeticSide which is the site where I post my post my poetry, it is impossible to post more than one poem a day.
Thinking about those who do persistently over-post, and this does present problems, I wonder whether some members use the Gallery as a useful place to neatly record their work all in one place? If that is so, it might be helpful if we could simply add work straight into our own personal galleries without it appearing as a daily posting? In which case viewers who wished to see more could look up an artist's work in its entirety. It would still be possible to show one piece of work in the site's regular 'public' gallery for viewing and comments. To answer my own query (as is frequently my habit!), I could see that it would be difficult to arrange.....? Or would it? (Poor Dawn must groan sometimes at the 'bright' ideas of her often wayward 'children'!) Sorry, Dawn!
I know when I joined POL last year I was only allowed to put four paintings per day as an automatic stop was put on. I agree that the paintings disappear so quickly it takes ages to catch up and none of us have the time to look back too far - we have painting to do amongst other things. It takes some doing to paint four paintings everyday, well it does me anyway. It would be so nice to have time to look at all the art and being able to post less at a time would be great. Over and out.
I may be wrong but I think new artists to POL tend to put on more paintings because they probably have a stockpile. Once they have uploaded those they may only put on one or two.
Showing page 1 of 3