Display conditions for finished works

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have some retail space that I would like to use to display (and hopefully sell) some of my acrylic paintings. The space is a wooden cabin with no heating, it is fine for me at the moment as it is warm, and if I need to I will bring a space heater in in the winter. I have a question about the paintings though. They are on stretched canvas and canvas board. Will the temperature changes as the weather changes affect/damage them? As it is a wooden structure I assume (as i have only been in a month), that it will be hot in the day in the summer/colder at night, and cold/potentially a little damp in the winter (sounds glorious doesn't it!) Another option is that I can see if the people I rent the space from would be happy for me to store the paintings overnight in their main building which is a much more permanent building, and wouldn't face the same issues. Therefore the paintings would only be in the wooden cabin during the day. Obscure question I know!
Anything on stretched canvas is going to be vulnerable to extreme temperature changes - the cloth loosens and tightens, not necessarily very perceptibly over a short period. Extreme cold - as in, really bloody cold - is not good for acrylic paint: it embrittles it, although acrylics can take a lot of stress and strain. It would be better if you were able to store your paintings somewhere with a more consistent temperature, and re-hang them when you're open for business. Just to be on the safe side, really, because the dangers aren't that great: but be aware of course that frames can warp in excessive heat, as can boards; a stout, well-made frame should be OK, but if you want to minimize risk I'd remove them overnight in really extreme temperatures.
Thanks Robert, I had a feeling you would know :D I will err on the side of caution and see if they can store them overnight in the main building. Thanks again.