Drawing and painting on a Samsung tablet

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I've been using one for a couple of months, with a basic digital art programme that's free with the tablet. I've now got the hang of it, and I'm impressed by the results. The pictures I've done are lively and colourful, it's much easier than doing a drawing with coloured pencils. I've mainly done portraits - I record suitable programmes or films on the TV, find a nice subject and paint straight from the screen with the image paused. I tried life drawing yesterday. It was particularly good during the short quick poses at the beginning of the session, although the Samsung tablet is quite small at 10 " long, so you can't do big expressive gestures. What do other people think about drawing using a tablet?
I have no experience of using a tablet in this way although curious to give it a try. I would be interested to learn how much of the finished article relies on the technology as opposed to the operator.
I bought a DVD and book on digital painting last year. I was going to buy a tablet and have a go, but I'm not very good at anything technical, so I chickened out. I am still interested though and will see what happens with this thread. Good luck Keora.
I have Brushes on my I Pad the one originally used by David Hockney. This is the first painting i did with it. But i created all of it myself ,i did not use a photograph ( no suprise there) nor any pre recorded anything. I used all the colours and mark making tools on the programme and painted this. I found it fun and have done others sitting in front of the subject. It is a way of creating in its own right . BUT i still want to use my brushes, pencils , paper and paint. But thats me. Someone i know takes a photograph and tweaks away and spends a lot of time enhancing and playing around then enters it as a painting in exhibitions....there is a place for this work but not in a painting exhibition..photography , yes why not. I think its a fun thing and has a place but not for me.
Happy belated birthday Syd, I hope you had a lovely day. I've had a go with drawing on my tablet but I don't seem to be able to control it enough so I will not be going down that route although it fascinates me how some artists, on the gallery, produce some wonderful 'paintings' using digital art.
Happy Birthday for yesterday Syd - a Taurus like me, mine was last Saturday. There is something very satisfying in handling brushes and paints, so tactile! Some people on the site seem to love digital, but I think I will stick to my paint or fibres.
I've tried digital art a couple of times, but like the others find it requires too much farting around to get anything done. I like the tactile response of using a brush or a pencil, too, so I'll stick with those.
Happy Unbirthday today Syd - my mum is 91, and has trouble getting around thanks to arthritis in her feet: but she's very generously passed the arthritis on to me: I was hoping for a house or something, but there we are.... I would have a go with digital art, but it's the cost that puts me off when I've got all these brushes, and paint, and canvases, boards and paper to use already. And there's something beyond that - not a problem with digital art at all, I think it's entirely valid and have no problem with it from that point of view, but I know how much of my time Facebook, and websites, and blogging have consumed - I want to get away from screens, not run the risk of being enslaved by them. People could quite reasonably point out that this is just willpower that's needed - you don't HAVE to be a slave to anything if you don't want to, and they'd be right. But it's a concern all the same. Maybe one day - but for the moment I'd rather use paint and brushes.
I think you are right Keora, I don't think it will become as popular. Art and crafts are very tactile and this is what appeals to many of us.
Keora. My Andonit Dash Stylus I'm sure I bought direct from the Andonit web site prompted by their announcement when the stylus was launched. It was announced to be compatible with both Android and iPad screens. I tested it in on my wife's Galaxy tablet this morning using Autodesk Sketch. The stylus worked perfectly. You should find an android version of Art Rage listed amongst apps for the Galaxy it costs around £4 Apart from buying the Amazon Fire Tablet I only use Amazon for purchasing books and more frequently now for Kindle books. The 'Fire' is also an Android tablet. and responds well to the 'Dash' stylus. I was prompted to buy the 'Fire' by my daughter who is a University Librarian and seems to only read Kindle versions of current best-sellers. I've just read the Kindle version of David Hockney's biography complete with illustrations in colour. Nice to have digital versions of books they take up far less space than hard-back copies. Hope you'll now be enjoying digital sketching.

Edited
by robK2

Not much from the regulars because we tend not to use these methods - but happily, there's advice available for those who seek to do so.
Hey all, this thread captured my attention as I just recently bought the new samsung tab s 3. It's a great tablet for various things and I justified it to myself saying I'd get into digital art and it would be easy as I could just pick it up like a sketch pad. The pen you get with it is very good and there is no delay when you draw on the screen. I haven't tried it outside but you would have to turn the brightness up to blinding! ( that's a setting right? ) I have had a go trying to do some stuff with two different programs - 1 artrage. 2 Autodesk sketchbook. I found that the 1st one is very finicky and I couldn't get the hang of it really ( I'm sure it will get better ) the second was ok. This is a picture I tried on it. The only bit I'm really happy with is the little boat on the far side :) I'm sure it can get used far better than this and I will keep going to see what happens. Its no substitute for real materials though. And as far as I can tell there is no type of watercolour program at all. The dury is still out for me.. But its great for playing this golf game I like :P
Showing page 1 of 2