WiP - Painting from life - Where do I go from here?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
The trouble witting from life is what to do once the model has gone. I painted this at my class last week, but I forgot to bring a camera. but that is not the only problem. I know I have to remodel her hands, may be give the shirt a bit more form, clear up issues around the hip, but what to do with the background. I was tempted with putting in a New York sunset, with the Chrysler building, about a third of the way in from the right, but maintain the blue and orange colour scheme. Has any any better ideas of what to do with this, please?
If I were you (which as you'll have noticed, I'm not) I'd keep it light, and fairly simple: to add the sort of detail you're talking about in the background might complicate things and distract attention from the subject: but if you do include it, keep it light. There are rather a lot of dark colours in this already - the hair, the shirt, the trousers, even the couch on which the subject is sitting - some of them could do with lightening a bit, too - just to inject a bit more life and variety. You've identified the areas where the drawing needs some more work - hands are difficult swine to paint, and that's where the jointed models, the lay figures, can come in so useful: if I had to paint full-length portraits, and it's many years since I did, I'd get one o' they.
Linda, I dont see that your painting needs much as its very good as it is . lwould suggest softening the features of the model to give her a more pleasant expression. the hands dont need much, just a touch here and there. the shirts ok and the posture reads very well. I woulld leave the nice background as it is .It is a good foil for that shirt and the model doesnt need any distraction in the background. Thats all that I would do......Syd P S This should be read before Roberts post . He can type and I am dead slow. hence he beat me to it.

Edited
by SydEdward

Many thanks, Robert and Syd, for your helpful suggestions. I will try to photograph my own hands for reference or hide more of them. I've still got room for more highlights to lighten it up. The actual model was lit from the back, so I decided to change the direction of light to get more on her face. The throw over the sofa was crimson, which is quite vibrant, even though it is quite dark and I've used purple for the black leggings and black in the shirt. I think perhaps the photographic process has dulled the effect. Perhaps a window frame and a vase would help, but I think I need something dark behind her left hand, otherwise it will be lost. Best wishes Linda
Thanks I'll try that Syd. Linda
I got carried away with the blue, so that the flesh stand out more. Twiddled with various things including adding more light to the face and cheering her up. I'm bit worried about whether the over all light works. But enough for today. Further suggestions are very welcome.
Many thanks Syd for your encouraging words and suggestion regarding her demeanour. I will look at her expression with fresh eyes in a couple of days. Her left had (right to us) doesn't look long enough to me. (I wish she hadn't slumped quite so much. It makes the pose look practically impossible. It would also have been better if the shirt was tighter fitting so that it follows her form rather than the crumpled mess on her chest.) I feel that I have lost the structure of the skull, so maybe a little more shading on her face and adjustment to the colours of the light from the two directions. I'm still not happy with the blue behind her head . Perhaps I will put light blue all the way across to the left edge and call it "Blue Sky Thinking". Maybe change to oils from the original acrylic, so I can wipe off things that don't work.
I think you are right Syd. I've already overdone the face and ultramarine. I know I have created problems for myself in altering the direction of the light. But who want to look at a miserable girl with her face all in the shade, wearing earphones? Many thanks though Syd for taking the time to comment and help me solve my problems. Best Wishes Linda