Digital Paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 4
More and more artists are using the iPad or software to create a painting. Heather Adams has posted some interesting results http://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_174561.htm If you are interested to know how some of the artists work, here are 3 videos https://landscapeartblog.wordpress.com/video/computer-art/
I have no knowledge or experience of digital art but it has become an issue with our art club as there is some discussion as to whether digital art should be admitted to the annual exhibition. The discussion centres on whether digital art is produced by the artist or by the computer software. I will watch your referenced videos with interest and hope for enlightenment.
I can see the value of digital art, and the ability to change the colour of an individual pixel must be great ... ... but ... having spent years in Investment Banking, needing a pc to get my work and then produce, monitor and track my and my staff's entire output, and now needing a pc to run my business, the last thing I want to do in creative moments is sit down at yet another $#**@&!!!! electronic gadget. Give me a real musical instrument with real strings, a real book or a real pencil or box of pastels or pens and a piece of paper any day.
I have never produced digital work. I did use Photoshop for graphic design way way back. As I don't create such work I don't comment on it apart from 2 members who I know about. Must admit to breeze past it, there again I used to to do that with abstracts, now I paint the odd one. Generally I am with alang and can't see the point but everyone to their own..
I have sincerely experimented with digital art for some time now and I find using them very difficult, the colours seem over bright and the inflexibility of the stylus is very limiting. I bought a 8 inch second-hand Samsung Note tablet especially for this as it included a digital pen. The actual processes in selecting a colour and the size of line and getting used to the icons used for different types of stroke is more than I can cope with. I do feel far more comfortable with traditional methods and when using an inflexible tablet surface I miss the slight friction and feedback that I get from watercolour paper and sketchbook cartridge paper. I'm afraid that the skills I've acquired over the years don't translate easily to the digital climate though I'm prepared to admit that possibly younger people who have more experience than I in digital drawing will have far fewer problems. I'm only too glad that I didn't splash out on an iPad Pro. John
I saw it too and was impressed. I suspect I would crack the glass though, which is what happens if you heat up a small patch for too long. I saw carbon paintings in China, but haven't a clue how it was done! - no sign of a pencil or charcoal stick. I wonder if it was done this way and transferred onto paper or photocopied.
Now I would be dangerous doing that... this was "smoked" onto a sheet of glass then the paper pressed onto the resulting image.
I quite agree -digital painting is an art. But as soon as you import photographic layers and textures it becomes graphics, not fine art.
I agree with most of what's been said above. The one difficulty I have with digital art, no matter how much artistic skill goes into it, is that there can never be a guaranteed one-off original. Without that the magic of art, for me at least, is lost.
Hockney (Yorkshire IPad pictures) has changed my attitude to digital painting and made me find out more. But I leave it alone at the moment as I prefer to get my hands dirty. But his collage of photographs of the Grand Canyon, (Bigger Picture exhibition) left me wondering if this was indeed fine art. Or doesn't it matter anymore?
Sylvia thank you for your reasonable contribution to this topic which displays an attitude of tolerance and common sense. I've been following the thread but have, until now, resisted making any comment. So many silly thing have been said which display complete ignorance of the processes involved in digital art. Take for instance the question of how Rob Sketcherman displays his digital picture. Well digital files produced by Procreate, Brushes etc. when complete are exported into a different file format such as JPG or PNG. JPG is the most common because it is used by basic Digital cameras. These can then be printed on paper by an inkjet printer. An artist wanting to sell these would print them on an enhanced 100% cotton paper. Somerset who also make quality 100% rag watercolour papers are probably the best. It shows a certain ignorance to be sniffy about printing. Fine art prints made from woodcuts, engravings or etching have a long history dating back the German artist Albrecht Durer. Somebody said Galleries don't show prints. Well that's wrong. We had a holiday in Aldeburgh, Norfolk last year and found I had £200 of spending money left over on the last day. A rather posh gallery had an exhibition of colour woodcuts by John Threlfall SWLA. Some were sold Mounted but not framed so I had some change for a snack on the way home! The moral learned from all this is don't comment on a technique unless you have some understanding gained from practising it. I practice what I preach - I no longer paint in oils any more so I never post to the Oil Painting thread.

Edited
by robK2

I think Rob is, not untypically for him, not giving much ground here - but I can't say he's not right. I have wondered if a couple of our digital artists who post in the Gallery might not have taken some of the comments on this thread and another amiss - I hope they haven't, because I enjoy their work. And yes, it can be printed - I took part in an exhibition a couple of years ago in which an artist, who also used actual physical paints, had produced a work on her Ipad, and printed it out onto watercolour paper (as I recall): I seem to remember commenting on it here, in fact. It was a beautiful image - something was captured which perhaps could have been caught in watercolour or gouache (in both of which the painter was proficient) but she enjoyed producing the work, I enjoyed seeing it, as did many others. It was as valid a work as any other - and whether we like it or not, incidentally, the world of design - taking that in its broadest sense - is largely digital now: the days when designers would produce their work in gouache for subsequent reproduction have largely gone - and at the same time, gouache, which was nearly always fugitive, has undergone a transformation: the major companies now produce lightfast paints, including acrylic gouache, and so the paint is moving into the undoubted fine art arena when it used to be confined to advertising and fashion work in the past. I wonder if that would have happened if it were still the medium of designers..... who knows? Original work on Ipad and computer - and all I've done is play with what can be done with Paint, a software programme with severe limitations but still interesting - is art so far as I can see. What isn't art is covered elsewhere on the Forum: taking photographs and manipulating them with an almost or entirely one-click software programme which makes them look like watercolour (or oil, or anything else): there's precious little creativity in that, if any - but of course it's not the same thing. Anyway - I hope our digital artists keep showing here; and if someone would like to buy me an Ipad for Christmas, I'll have a go myself. http://www.isleofwightlandscapes.net http://www.wightpaint.blogspot.co.uk
Showing page 1 of 4