Nice to get the attention!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Went out early today to a hill overlooking the Vale of York and positioned myself on the grass verge of a country road outside a horseracing stables to do an oil sketch of the panoramic scene across the Vale to the North York Moors in the distance. Got nicely into the painting when two Labradors came out from the stables to exercise on the, thankfully, quiet road. After a while the yellow lab dog came over for a pat and chat and to register his qualities as a discerning art critic proceeded to cock his leg against the leg of my easel! Having recovered from this mark of (dis)approval I continued until a lady came along the road on a bay horse, which on seeing the easel planted his feet firmly by the verge and refused to budge despite pleas from the lady to 'Stephen' to 'walk on'(yes, a horse called Stephen). Stephen took some time before he reluctantly walked slowly past my developing painting, I'd like to think his reluctance was due, like my canine critic, to being overwhelmed at the sight of the emerging 'masterpiece, but... When humans don't appreciate your efforts isn't it nice that the animals have more taste!
Brilliant story, Stub. What a good day you have had :)
You're braver than I am. The thought of setting up outside (even on a quiet road) would fill me with dread. And it would just be my luck that my jar of water would spill, the paper would flap in the breeze and I'd probably leave something behind that I needed. Well done you.
Isn't it great though Peter to get outside and give it your best shot, well done and a lovely little story as well. Brave mind you to set up near a stable, horses usually mean flies in abundance.
Sitting in a field full of horses , one came up to me and obviously disapproved. Plonked a great hairy hoof in the middle of my pic and tried to nick it to eat. I foiled him but it didnt do the painting any good whatsoever.
Horses often spook when something odd appears. so it must be you mate LOL. Don't think I have ever setup to sketch on a road side as such but yes many times in stareets and thoroughfares. Keep at it and let's see the resluts regardless of canine opinion.
I love Stephen already Stub or Peter. Sometimes, well in fact most of the time I prefer animals to a lot of humans. Sounds a great day. I don't know what to make of the cocked leg on your easel - oh dear!
The dog obviously marked the painting as his. It is obvious his understanding of art is of high level. Rather amazing in lab, unless there was a ball in your work? Or stick? If not, then this was an educated dog. I am sure his mark was one of the caligraphy´s best in wee ;-) The fact the horse stopped, proofs my point, news of your talent travelled fast ;-)
That's what my poor old doggy does Double D. Keeps sniffing the same places going and then coming back! He's a sad poorly doggy today - going to the vets later.
You can see the dogs' reactions when they arrive at the vets Syd - that look that says "you must have taken a wrong turn, mum". But he waited an hour and was an extremely brave old boy - really poorly and not rallying - so worrying, especially as he is 13+