Life Classes - suitable tinted papers for use with pastels and chalks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I regularly attend life drawing classes. I normally draw with graphite pencils or Derwent coloured pencils on white cartridge paper. To get good highlights on white paper it's necessary to fill in most of the page with tone to allow the highlights to stand out. Sometimes with a short pose there's not time to do this. I thought of using pastels or chalks (white, sanguine, black) on a tinted pastel paper in an A3 or A2 pad. I've found that buying pastel paper by the sheet is less convenient than in pad form. Mainly the problem is finding the space to store completed pastel drawings without the pastel dust getting everywhere. Good pastel papers are expensive. A cheaper option might be to use Kraft paper. What type of papers do pastel users think would be suitable?
I've not tried Kraft paper before and as I have a roll for packaging I may just have to give it a try. My initial thoughts though are to wonder if the paper will have enough tooth to hold the marks well or will the pastel slip too much. Ok... it seems you've given me a little side project for the afternoon :) I've used coloured sugar paper in the past for rough sketches. Cheap to buy but it fades really fast if out in sunlight.
I was going to say sugar paper, but then what if you produce a really good sketch on it and then have to protect it obsessively from ultra-violet light, couldn't frame it - so no one would see it? A more labour-intensive way would be to take reasonably-priced cartridge paper (I really don't think it pays to economize too much here, if that's not a contradiction in terms, because cheap stuff just yellows) and apply a dilute coat of acrylic or watercolour - eg, burnt sienna, to show up the white pastel/crayon? It'll curl a bit of course, but I find the surface quite pleasant to work on - I've used dilute Chromacolour for this purpose, because it wets down so easily into a wash. Or you could use inks. Failing that, and I admit it would be a bit of a fag, you'll doubtless be looking out for pads of paper in lightfast colours - of which there must be some, you'd think; Google Speciality Papers, and see if anything interesting pops up (being sure to share it here if it does). Pastel paper is of course available in different colours - I use very little of it so the cost doesn't bother me, but if you do - it will mount up.
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I've used Kraft paper in the past, Great Art is a good source: http://www.greatart.co.uk/BigDraw/Drawing-Surfaces/Pads-and-Sketchbooks/Gerstaecker-No-4-Kraft-Paper-Pads.html Pastels stick well to the rough side, although the paper is a bit too thin for my tastes. I've wondered about buying some sugar paper, except that I've used it a lot and I don't like the colours. I've also thought of painting a neutral wash across cartridge paper, but I was looking for paper which can be used with a minimum of preparation. This Sennelier paper looks good, but pricey - and the neutral grey might be a bit boring. https://www.jacksonsart.com/sennelier-soft-pastel-paper-pad-40x32cm-25-sheets-130gsm-grey-grained-felt-paper-with-interleaved/?___SID=U
I've used Clairefontaine Ingres, but found it to have too regular a texture and not suitable for fine detailed work, but you do get interleaves which stop the pastel spreading. W&N Pastel pad is a bit better, but the colours are not as varied and no interleaves. I'm currently trying some posher stuff, like fine sandpaper, but it doesn't seem to hold much pastel. This is ok for pastel pencils, but not really for soft pastels. You can rub it in with your fingers, but using a brush will just rub it off. Good quality Watercolour paper has a good tooth and seems to work quite well, but you are left with the dreaded white, but a thin wash would do the trick. Having banged on in the forum about pastels, I realised that I had not posted any, so I've just started posting my pastel portrait and life drawings. I have various coloured papers, which might give you an idea about which colours to use.
When looking through my old life and portrait drawing/paintings in pastel, I noticed that I had used yellow thin card. I was surprised at this as it would not be the first colour that I would choose and as it has a smooth surface, I did not expect the pastel to stick as well as it did. The resultant drawing glowed and the pastel stuck OK. What is more I even god a clean edge! So experimentation can work. the sugar paper however seems to have darkened down the colours used.
I went to the Range yesterday and found that they stocked huge sheets of loose pastel paper in loads of colours - £1.30 each. I think they were A1, so that is 2 x A2's, or 4xA3, or 8xA4.
Thanks for the tips, Fraz. By the way has anyone had any luck with (Pastelfix Hahnemuhle). The texture feels really lovely and soft, but it does not seem to want to keep my Rembrandt pastels on it. Has anyone had any better experience of it?

Edited
by Splosh

I am starting a new life class on Saturday, full of trepidation. Did loads of them years back and enjoyed them and I heard of this new one from an acquaintance and as it's local I thought I should have a stab to try and renew old skills long lost and more so what to use in materials. I have lots of gear and they provide easels and other stuff, no tutor. Trepidation because it's a new class for ages and have to use something other than credit cards.
Thanks Sylvia for the encouragement. Not normally in need but in my old age - now and then. You have cleared up one problem - what to use and your idea will be the one. Not sure how hand and fingers in there current state will operate, but I can manage pens and washes stuff if held at end of tool rather than close to the ferrule.
Don't worry about hands and fingers. The best life drawing is done with the arm, not the wrist. Think big at the easel.
Yes thanks Splosh. Along with a box of charcoal and conte sticks I am taking my en plein aire folding easel which is a tripod and board with the clip to fix it. They do supply easels apparently but as I am not going to be painting, not sure what I can adapt to. Have rooted out a load of paper and board to use, basically the backside of other works and also taking some previous 1992 life class works to show I am not a starter, but then after all this time I think I will be. Big clear up in the studio over the last few days plus putting our caravan away for winter, so not a lot of painting done and not much presence in POL. Took a lot of old works to the tip today, normally I don't throw anything away but with the amount I have been churning out there was a lot of crap and mostly on the reverse of old stuff, no use to anyone, except maybe the chaps at the tip.
Showing page 1 of 2