Berol Karismacolor- alternative needed

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Hi all, just looking for some opinions before I go & waste more money..... I used to use berol Karismacolor coloured pencils & loved them, however I believe these are no longer made. I've already bought other coloured pencils, derwent academy & caran d'arche (just standard range), but neither compare to the blendability of my old kariscolors. Has anyone got any suggestions on a suitable alternative? I'm looking good quality lightfast colours, which will blend easily. Thanks in advance for any responses. Michelle
They were great pencils - waxy, rich, just about perfect for the way I used to draw in coloured pencil: so of course they had to go and stop making them! My memory is trying to tell me something here - I know this question has been asked before, either here or on another forum, and I dimly remember there were various suggestions - so when I have a minute I'll see if I can find some answers for you. It may take a day or two - I've got to try to remember where I saw this discussion: have you investigated the CP pages on Wet Canvas? I have a feeling I might have seen it there. Or try the Coloured Pencil Society - there's one in this country, and one in the USA (where of course Karismacolor were made. I'll also ask a friend who's a bit of a wiz with coloured pencils.
A couple of suggestions from an artist on Facebook - Polychromos pencils, or Caran d'Ache Supracolour Soft (these can be used wet or dry).
Information is sparse and confusing on this subject..... however, there are those who say that while Karismacolor has been discontinued, it has been replaced by Prismacolor - I'm not convinced that these are the same thing, but they are a soft pencil: I've noticed a fair number of people say they break easily, which I don't remember the old brand doing. Still - you might like to try them. Of course there are always Derwent Coloured pencils - I won a rather spiffy tin of these from this very website: they're not the same as the Berol brand(s) - much drier in use - but do have a fabulous range of colours. Best I can do at the moment.
Don't neglect to post your paintings and drawings in the Gallery, and let us know how you get on with your art course.
Prisma's are now made in Mexico and it is since the change that I heard they break a lot and the cores go loose inside the wooden casing. A lot of my American Pencil Artist Friends have had a lot to say on this subject. They are very expensive too at around nearly £2.00 a pencil. plus the shipping costs. Polychromos cost around 95p. from a company called Turnham Arts and Crafts based in the UK. Great value for money and they are great to work with. smile emoticon --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This from Georgie Johannesen, an occasional contributor to POL and very competent coloured pencil artist. I'm sad to hear that these pencils have been so degraded, but better to know than not: I have now read/heard so many accounts of their fragility that I can only believe it - what a shame. I think that in your case I should try the Polychromos brand - and perhaps nag at Berol to get their obviously failing act together: how can you produce a great product, and then allow it to be degraded like this?
Drawing is also possible on Graffy Streetwww.graffystreet.com. It is a public brick wall, where you can draw online as if you were a street art artist. It is also possible to create and share graffitis, images, stickers, links... People can make friends, chat with the others, it is a virtual street ! I discovered it yesterday, it looks funny. Best
HI. i don't know whether this is now applicable to you but I have a box of 23 (should be 24 but 1 has been lost unfortunately) from around 1999 period. let me know if you are interested and we can work something out. I was cleaning out my room and came across my old set so started searching to get an idea of value and if/where i could sell them and came across your post- i'm from Bromley in the UK by the way (SE London) many thanks Benjamin
See above - an alternative suggested was Polychromos - have you tried those?
Karismacolor or the other ones? I know I could always look myself but this is quicker - if there are Karismacolor pencils anywhere to be found, I should seize them. Grab while you can.
Cute, Sylvia.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 1 of 2