London Art College - Distance courses

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and trying to get back into my art, so have been looking at courses to focus my mind! I have seen a distance course on animal portraits with the London Art college, but wondered if anyone had any experience with this institution (good or bad) that they could share with me before I take the plunge? Thanks Mich
I'm afraid I haven't any experience of the London Art College, but provided the course fees aren't too huge I should still say jump in and do it - if you need a bit of external discipline to help, as you say, focus your mind then a course such as this could be just what's required. There are dvds, of course, and books, and (modest cough) even my own e-book, but some of us need a deadline imposed by others, or just an expectation we're going to do something. If that sounds like you, then you'll probably know that these dvds and books can be absolutely marvellous aids for the professional procrastinator - you can spend hours poring over them, and not painting. If you take a course on the other hand, you'll know that there's someone on the other end waiting to see your work, and they'll also be there to encourage you and advise. So have a bash.
Hi Mitch I can help you here as I am a graduate of the London Art School. I completed a Pet Portraiture diploma about 6 years ago (ish) and graduated with distinction. I absolutely loved the course in all aspects. Melanie Phillips was my tutor, both she and her husband run a successful practise as well as teaching via the college. The course followed the open university model of having a forum for your given group, but you also have access to the postings from all the other disciplines and when I was there the forum was very active and extremely useful. I made many arty friends and we have stayed in touch ever since. The course notes are a little basic, but the learning was in the doing and the feedback from both participants and tutors. I found the feedback which was a video critique with tips and suggestions to be most useful. Especially since Melanie would use Photoshop to show what she meant. Not sure if they still do video critique, or if its done in every course. Anyway hope that helps and good luck! What are you planning to study? J www.jilltisbury.co.uk
Hi Jill Thanks for your reply. I actually took the plunge and signed up for the pet portrait course a while ago now, it's going slowly but and I'm now on the 3rd assignment. Like you say, the printed course notes are a little basic, but the feedback and encouragement which is given in relation to the assignments is invaluable. The course tutor has now changed, but Melanie is always happy to give constructive feedback via the college forum. The forum doesn't seem very active in terms of pet portrait students, but one will usually come along and comment in due course. The don't appear to do video critique now, but whenever I send in an assignment I get a comprehensive write up on how it could be improved and examples of artists I could look at for inspiration. Michelle
No opinion on the courses but am intrigued that the London Art College is based in Lancaster, but as a Yorkshireman I can understand why they would disguise their location!