Douglas e west?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, im not an artist but have a question hopefully someone ca help with. I have been given a print by Douglas e west of pitts cottage, I have searched the Internet for information about the artist and the print but can only find art by Douglas e west that is sports related and a couple of others, I cant find anything related to him painting pitts cottage at all, so do any of you know anything about this artist or pitts cottage prints? Thank you.
Douglas E West was my father. He was born 31st December 1931 and died on 9th May 2007. He studied at the Sidcup School of Art in Kent. He worked in advertising for Dorlands. During the 1950's he was an illustrator for the comic Chips. In the 1970's Soloman and Whitehead published numerous oils and watercolours, "Sunday Cricket" published in 1976 was number one best selling print in the FATG poll. The print of Pitts Cottage was the first in an intended series of cottages, only 3 were published and sorry I can't remember the other 2. Pitts Cottage at Westerham in Kent was at one time the home of William Pitt the younger, in recent years has been a tea room. Being a life long Sherlock Holmes fan and member of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London he did their Christmas cards and painted many pictures for them. He spent the last 20 years of his life living in a village on Dartmoor, having regular exhibitions in the local town of Tavistock and selling at The Mayflower Gallery. He mostly did watercolours as it was his favourite medium but also did do some oils. Still find his pictures turning up in local auctions around Tavistock/Plymouth originals and prints. In fact there are two originals at Drakes Auctions http://www.drakesauctions.co.uk/ , Tavistock under the hammer on Monday 7th December. Hope this helps, happy to help with any questions.
Sorry to hear that Mr West has died, but it's wonderful to see this post - he was a highly competent artist, you must be proud of him.
That will depend on so many things - the condition of the print; whether it was a limited run (there should be some indication on the mount - eg 5/20, meaning the fifth print of a limited run of 20) or something that was mass-produced; the quality of the reproduction, and the present market value, if all else is right, of Douglas E West prints. Obviously, originals will fetch much higher prices than prints, even though a really well-produced print should last at least as long as the original; but that's not quite the point. The only way for you to find out whether the prints are still sought-after is to investigate sales at auction houses, and perhaps take yours to a valuer. Generally though, a print will fetch tens of pounds if you're lucky, as opposed to the hundreds you might get for an original; and many fetch much less than that and tend to be sold so that the frame and mount can be re-used: people who do that won't be looking to spend much money.
Douglas E West was my father. He was born 31st December 1931 and died on 9th May 2007. He studied at the Sidcup School of Art in Kent. He worked in advertising for Dorlands. During the 1950's he was an illustrator for the comic Chips. In the 1970's Soloman and Whitehead published numerous oils and watercolours, "Sunday Cricket" published in 1976 was number one best selling print in the FATG poll. The print of Pitts Cottage was the first in an intended series of cottages, only 3 were published and sorry I can't remember the other 2. Pitts Cottage at Westerham in Kent was at one time the home of William Pitt the younger, in recent years has been a tea room. Being a life long Sherlock Holmes fan and member of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London he did their Christmas cards and painted many pictures for them. He spent the last 20 years of his life living in a village on Dartmoor, having regular exhibitions in the local town of Tavistock and selling at The Mayflower Gallery. He mostly did watercolours as it was his favourite medium but also did do some oils. Still find his pictures turning up in local auctions around Tavistock/Plymouth originals and prints. In fact there are two originals at Drakes Auctions, Tavistock under the hammer on Monday 7th December. Hope this helps, happy to help with any questions. Access: http://www.drakesauctions.co.uk/ https://writemyessaytoday.net/
Your father was a talented person, even more than that. I have one of his masterpieces (a watercolor painting). But I can't find any information about it. Particularly, I'm interested in the year of creation and the circumstances. I searched on the ArtPrice and MutualArt blogs. Nothing there... <table class="tbl"><tbody><tr id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctl00_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl10_trRow2"><td id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctl00_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl10_tdPostCell4" class="TableCell_Light" style="vertical-align: top;"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Edited
by RandyBonnette