Inspiration from Artists Wk114 Featuring Artists : Peter Greenham and David Gentleman .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Interesting comments re “ colour” , Colour is literally in the eye of the beholder and not formulaic…Since my eye infliction, and I’m sorry if I bore you , I find colour leeches away, so most of those paintings mean nothing to me , I can barely see them, now add a bit of vid or and contrast and I would.    So now having acquired AMD in both eyes I now know that colour perception is quite different for every individual.  Another symptom is lights and darks and trying to read script on here…it moves around and mishapes  itself,so if this is nonsense , it’s not me ,it’s my bloody eyes. 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I admire the figurative  work very much, but I'm less impressed by the landscapes.  I've woken to a bright sunny morning and if I look outside as Robert suggests I do see vivid colour and tonal contrast.  It's the artist's lot to interpret what he sees, and this artist clearly prefers a subdued palette.  I'm all for artistic interpretation.  The 'loose' style shown here also appeals to me.  So a fine artist with much to admire.
Apologies for once again posting paintings by somebody other than the named artist, but I do like a discussion.  Also, like Robert, I admire Corot's work.  The couple of Corot's I have included below are not strong sunshine, nor dull, nor, dare I say, garish colours.  But they do have colour and I find them more alive than Peter Greenham's work. PS Having read Norette's comment below, I realise I have missed Sylvia's post.  I would just like to add how sorry I am to hear about the affects of her AMD on her ability to enjoy art.  I had not realised it was having such an awful impact.

Edited
by Tony Auffret

Interesting comments re “ colour” , Colour is literally in the eye of the beholder and not formulaic… So now having acquired AMD in both eyes I now know that colour perception is quite different for every individual. Sylvia Evans on 07/05/2024 03:08:53
I agree Sylvia, I tend to over compensate with my early stage cataracts, those in my art group who've had the operation think my work is bright.  But I don't care.  Cameras these days tend to even out tones, it's good to differentiate from the mechanical. I hope your AMD is slowing.
Tony there is no need to apologise for posting a different artists work so we can compare, it adds to the discussion and enables us to look at the different artists work. I do like Corot’s work having just looked at it on line , I was aware of him but I haven’t really looked at his work and I can’t remember if we have featured his work, must check that out and add him to the list if not. There is a very big difference between them although Corot’s work is a subdued pallets it still has far more vibrancy to it , I think due to his use of light I can and do enjoy his work. I do get irritated when folk add a artist to a thread that has nothing to do with the discussion or style , but it’s a fee world as they say . 
Good morning all.  David William Gentleman (born 11th March 1930) is an English artist , painter and illustrator who has worked in watercolour, lithography and wood engraving. He studied at the RCA under Edward Bawden and John Nash and in his life (so far)  has produced hundreds if not thousands of pieces ranging from the large mural on the wall of Charing Cross tube station to the smallest postage stamp.  I will direct you to Wikipedia for details of his life : David Gentleman - Wikipedia and urge you to search the internet for his work and also go to his home page at: David Gentleman I first encountered David's work in a book called David Gentleman's Britain which was published in 1982 (David Gentleman | Books)  and was immediately attracted to his loose watercolour and pen drawings and paintings. I am particularly attracted to his urban sketches which capture the essence of place without being bogged down with relentless detail.  I hope you enjoy his work and seek out more examples .  Finally - a snippet of the famous Northern Line platform at Charing Cross tube station:

Edited
by Andrew Roles

Thanks Andy for your introduction , I do lime that second one you have posted that old tree is amazing I will look at his work a bit later today. 
I did have a preview of his work at the beginning of the week, and think it’s amazing, just my cup of tea and a vast selection of different subject matter! I’ll choose some later. Thanks Andy, I don’t think you’ll be short of response for this one. 👍🏻👏🏼
Like Tessa, just my cup of tea.  A wide variety and style of images, from the highly detailed tree to the very loose style of some of the drawings.  Here's a few I like... The last being an illustration for Alan Bennett's 'Lady in the van.' A very gifted artist.
Well, I took up Andrew's suggestion and looked at his website and beyond, and have to say I was bewildered by the array of output, everything from traditional art to stamps to political slogans (I am not sure it is art but his 'Bliar' poster is genius regardless of ones political views).  I would have to say that the majority of it does little for me, but there are one or two gems in there.  The two I have chosen below reflect the breath of his output as much as being images that appeal to me.  One a pen, ink and watercolour 'sketch', the other a screen print.  Then I succumbed and added one of his stamp designs - who cares if it is 'art' or not?

Edited
by Tony Auffret

The Northern line is not my usual route, but I'll be using CharingX tube in my visit today.  I will try to remember to pop over to that platform on my way home. Not seen it before.  Will try to discover the artists on the other platform tiling decorations.
Much more to my personal taste….what fun.
Showing page 2 of 3